Saturday, February 05, 2005

Ruby ruby ruby

Yeah there are times that I've wondered about my sanity. I really enjoy Ruby. Now some folks would start to talk about how they think there isn't any money to made in it or how they are missing some critical library that makes it an unusable language. To the first group I say "A hacker does for love what others would not do for money" and the other group "If you have a scratch, itch it and then send us the backscratcher". This is a really neat and wacky language. Just look at Redhanded. _why is in a class all by himself, and unlike myself, actually takes time to blog each day. Maybe I should code up some gui widget in Fox which comes standard on windows installs of ruby that takes text and emails it to an address. Then I could have an autoblogger

And the neat thing about ruby is that you can write code like this:

(1..10).each {|item| puts "Ruby is neat"}

Realize though, that my leet coding skills in Ruby are like 1 month old and I'm no David Heinemeier Hansson.

I will say this, Ruby has been for me, a side effecty language. I write some code and in one line I can do three things to the current array and get back the changes I've made at the same time. It's a good thing, but some of my old professors would have a heart attack if they ever saw that code. Oh well, at least I realize this.

/rant

No comments: