Friday, June 25, 2004

Source Management in Linux/Unix-like OS"s

idea for a source package manager.

Granted there is a another package called encap and also another one from the GNU buddies called stow.

For those of you who don't know, this is one of the plagues I suffer from daily. A package is out with a new version that I really need or want to test. However my OS bundle (SuSE) tends towards a wonderful obsoletism that while stable means that I don't get a version within 4 release cycles of a current version.

So I hit the source and compile it. You'd think that this wans't a bad thing, but after a while I have three or four versions of libraries running around in weird spots trying to get it all to work for one install.

Not fun.

These tools would let me sidestep most of this, or I could just convince everyone at work to go to Gentoo.

No comments: